Saturday, March 31, 2012

Triple Creme Blueberry Pie

A bit of a story on this recipe. It was my first Thanksgiving with my then boyfriend (now fiancee) and his family. I was flying out to Boise Idaho and wanted to make an impression. Brian told me that his mom loved this blueberry pie from Marie Calendar's and that she had it every year for her birthday dessert. 

I decided to give it a shot-taste the pie and then try to replicate it. I was going to school then out in Spokane, Washington-so I went to the restaurant, got a slice and took it hope to take it apart.

The following recipe is the result...and it was pretty darn close. The crust recipe is my grandma's (that's what I used) but you can use whatever you like-would be pretty good with a graham cracker crust too since the filling is a lot like cheesecake.

Ingredients

  • Blueberry Filling:
  • 1 bag frozen blueberries (thawed)
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 3 Tbsp corn starch
  • Crème Filling:
  • 1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding (make with only 1 1/3 cups milk)
  • ½ cup low fat sour cream
  • ½ pkg (4 oz) low fat cream cheese
  • 1/3 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 cup cool whip

Directions

  1. Blueberry Filling:
  2. Boil all three ingredients in a saucepan until thick and bubbly. Pour into pre-baked pie shell and cool in the refrigerator until set.
  3. Creme Filling:
  4. Prepare vanilla pudding as directed but only use 1 1/3 cup of milk. Set aside.
  5. Whip sour cream, cream cheese and powdered sugar.
  6. Mix the sour cream mixture with the pudding mixture.
  7. Fold in 1 cup cool whip until well combined.
  8. Pour over the blueberry layer an chill until set.
  9. Garnish with additional dollops of cool whip or fresh whipped cream if desired

No comments:

Post a Comment